Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Friday, October 27, 2006

Stealing Sapelo

If I don't comment immediately on the multitude of recent updates, it's because I'm on an island. Yeah, I know...I had to go again. Each trip gets better and worse at the same time. Anyway, I'm here on Sapelo and it's actually pretty cool this time. It hasn't been too cold today. I can appreciate that.

I might be hoarding internet. I don't know, exactly, but I do know that last night I couldn't get online because someone else was using it, but when I woke up at five this morning, I was able to get on. I didn't turn off my computer when I went back to sleep, I just let it sleep, and I currently have internet again. This pleases me.

If I am hoarding the internet, the dilemma becomes...do I shut the computer off when we go walking at 1:00, or do I leave it, just to see if I can keep the internet? It'd be mean to keep everyone else from getting online, especially Doug who wants to track the World Series, but I like being online. And I don't necessarily want to give that up right now.

I will tell you more about Sapelo later, but I'll give interested parties a run-down. It's an island off the coast of Georgia, owned by the National Wildlife association, the UGA Marine Institute, and a handful of Gullah peoples who've been here since the civil war. In short, it's a pretty deserted place. Which makes it awesome to visit, because it's like having your own island.

It's also pretty neat because the FRC pays for everything. And because Jack's here--he's the best three-year-old ever. Seriously, this kid uses better grammar than I do. And he likes me, which is nice. Since Linda is not here yet, I got to be on Jack duty while the other kids unloaded and loaded stuff. It worked out really well, because I don't really like carrying things, and Jack and I get along well.

Ok, there's about fifteen minutes until we meet to tour the institute, so I suppose I'll finish this stuff and find some lunch. You may be seeing more of me, or you may not. You never know.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:49 PM, October 27, 2006 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    Sounds like you're having a good time, then.

    And I think it's adorable that Jack likes you. Mostly because it causes me to think about you having children, which...awww. An Erin spawn would be so great. I have this vision of you taking him to Europe for the first time, and having this great quality moment where you take him by the hand and show him how to get out of paying the rail fare. If that isn't a Kodak moment, I don't know what is.

    How's the weather, there? It's really cold, here. And foggy. Seattle foggy, even.

    Is the movie theatre still there?
    Have you seen animals? Will you post pictures? What are you eating?

    All my love.
    --Andrew

     
  • At 12:49 AM, October 28, 2006 , Blogger The Wayward E said...

    If you spawn and I spawn, we could tie ribbons around them and put them in a basket and give them to my dad for Christmas.

    He says he wants two.

    W says: WTF?

     
  • At 10:18 AM, October 28, 2006 , Blogger oneifbyland said...

    hey! i didn't even know you had a blog! and you've linked to me! i feel so silly!
    the exclamation marks are for excitement. glad sapelo island is nice so far. a deserted island sounds like paradise. is it cold there too?

     
  • At 6:02 PM, October 30, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Sapelo what? Where is that? Off the coast of Georgia maybe? I don't even know....

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home