Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Monday, November 27, 2006

The Gaze, A Sighting, and My Paper

I. I apologize in advance, because this is kinda bad. Not bad in a kicking puppies kind of way, but bad in a lame sort of way.

We talk a lot about "the gaze" in film. The male gaze (which is supposedly what every movie supports in our patriarchal society that objectifies women and all that bad, bad, oppressive stuff) and the female gaze (which may or may not exist, depending on who you ask). And most of the time when I hear my teacher talk about the male gaze I subconsciously know that the word is gaze. G-a-z-e. You know what word it's supposed to be, so you hear that word.

It's like song lyrics...you can mis-hear something for six months, and then when someone tells you that it's "shoebox of lies" rather than "shoebox of life" and you don't hear the "life" anymore because you know it's suppose to be "lies". I don't know if that made sense. Anyway...I've always known they were talking about the gaze.

Until today when, for some reason, I totally heard Dr. Neupert talk about the male gays. And then I had to try not to laugh because, guys! The gays! We all experience the male gays. This movie is prime example of the male gays. Every film exhibits the male gays.

Ok, so that's probably only funny to me--I'll admit to being easily amused. But now I can't stop hearing the word as gays. If this keeps up, my film theory class is going to be awesome.

II. I totally saw Athens Andrew today. I don't think I've ever seen him on campus before, other than the concert. It was exciting. Are you always at that bus stop then? What bus were you waiting for?

III. I have two papers due at the end of the week. One on Friday and one on Thursday. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and stay up all night tonight to start/finish the first one, or if I can be trusted to actually work on them. I don't know the real answer to this question. I'm pretty bad at finishing things before their absolute due date. But I'm very tired. Always very tired.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home