Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Monday, December 03, 2007

Resumes

There's something inherently depressing about deciding which activities you do on a daily basis are important enough to list on a single sheet that will stand to represent your life. I don't know. It's like four years of college have culminated to amount to one page of action-verb statements of my responsibilities.

I'll tell you, it makes me feel like I haven't done anything at all. Very little, at least. I've done the FRC and Stillpoint. That's about it. That's my last four years. Oh, and school. My oh-so-exciting 3.62 and top-fifteen-percent-of-students status. I feel like I should be a lot more proud of that, but honestly...I've come to resent to grading system more than I appreciate it. I don't think classes should be about numbers. Classes should be about writing a play or creating a 3D, animated juggling robot, or developing a thorough working knowledge of semiotics. Can I put that on my resume?

I'm just bitter about this whole application process. I guess it's good that I'm not 100% sold on the grad school idea. There are lots of other things I want to be. Mostly just not living at home, I suppose, which is easy enough to accomplish. Grad school sounds awesome--don't get me wrong. But it isn't the only thing on the list, which I think puts me ahead of all the pre-med kids in overall happiness potential.

And that is the ultimate goal: to be content. To be able to travel sometimes, and go to concerts when good ones are happening. To have a place that is mine and have time to read and write and listen to music and drive. Those is my resume objectives. Hire me.

7 Comments:

  • At 10:45 AM, December 05, 2007 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    So where are all you applying?

    --Andrew

     
  • At 10:51 PM, December 11, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Let's do it! Pain and Wonder. I'd rather have fabulous and expensive and get a great tattoo than risk it. Even though they're simple, I want to make sure they look great. I'm free after Thursday, and Friday/Saturday would be best for me. You available? I'm so excited!! :)

     
  • At 1:33 AM, December 12, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How do I do it? Do I just call and that's it or what? I'm nervous.

     
  • At 1:51 AM, December 12, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ok, my last question(s): should I feel at all like a poser (or whatever) since my tattoos are small and simple? I mean, they're meaningful to me, but it's nothing that will be hard for the tattoo artists (right?). Also, can you come with me to talk with them, maybe tomorrow afternoon/evening or Thursday afternoon? I'd love to have a friend there. If not, I'll man up and do it. :)

     
  • At 2:01 AM, December 12, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Ok sweet. I'm finished with a final at 3:00, and then I'm free the rest of the day. E-mail/message me your number? I got a new phone after GHP and lost all my numbers. I'll call you after my final and we can go from there. I checked their website, and they're right next to the 40 Watt, open until 9:00.

     
  • At 2:01 AM, December 12, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This is tomorrow, I mean. :)

     
  • At 11:18 PM, December 13, 2007 , Blogger The Wayward E said...

    Wow. So, you've accomplished a lot more than me. Big surprise, I guess. And while I understand the impulse to hedge your bets, if I were you I wouldn't worry about getting into grad school.

    Actually, I totally would. But that should just be more evidence that your stance on the matter is irrational. =)

    Also...did this tattoo thing actually happen? What, if anything, happened?

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home