Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Prospects

You know how it goes. I get busy. Things get better. I stop blogging.

So things are both terrible and exciting. I'm graduating. Technically, I've already earned my degree. I still have two classes to finish, but the last thing I needed (a passing grade in PE) has already been obtained. So check one box for me. Major in Film Studies is complete. Minor in English: still working on it.

Side note: I'm gonna be in a show on Tuesday (the 29th) at 7:00pm in the SLC (247). If you're in town, you should come. It'll be fun. There will be boxes. And free pizza, which makes me nervous.

Being in that workshop this semester has made me realize a bunch of stuff, mainly that I don't want to go to graduate school for creative writing. I'd been wait-listed for a pretty amazing program, and it would have been free, had I been offered a spot, but I asked them to take me off the list. I don't want it as much as I thought I would. What little writing talent I have doesn't really improve much from workshop participation. I don't know.

So this coming year I'm either (1) going to American Samoa to teach English (I find out if I get a spot this week) or (2) moving to Boston/Nashville. Nashville's winning for the moment, since I could probably talk Sheena into moving in with me. Speaking of moving, you know who's thinking about moving to Gainesville? That's right, my parents. Weird, isn't it? Don't worry, it's still tentative right now.

So I don't know. That's what's up with me. American Samoa would be an adventure, but it'd be a lot of work and I don't know that I really want to teach. And for some reason, I'd really like to buy a house. But traveling is kind of my goal. Graduating sucks. Or I guess, being forced to leave your home and social network and everything you've built in the past four years sucks. Graduating is ok.

This was going to be longer but I'm distracted. So I'm going to go back to working on my project. Ick.

4 Comments:

  • At 5:58 PM, April 27, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    Why Nashville? And why Boston, for that matter? Why won't Sheena go to Boston?

    --Andrew

     
  • At 9:14 PM, April 27, 2008 , Blogger The Wayward E said...

    I vote Nashville. William and I would totally follow you to Nashville. It's the only Southern town for which he's expressed anything but horror.

    Why are your parents moving to Gainesville? William and my house is actually in Flowery Branch, so I'm not too terribly concerned. About buying a house, I know what you mean. I find myself house-hunting in Portland all the time. Speaking of which, you've got to visit us in the new 'hood before we kick off for the Strange & Terrible South. I will show you all the perfect and unfordable houses for sale in Portland. What is American Samoa like?

    I really don't think I'm ready for college to be over yet. Not the college part per se, but the My-Little-Portland-Life part. I don't want to move on. I always wanted to be the sort of person who would be ever-ready to move on, but I'm not.

    And Leigh Takata keeps trying to contact me. I'm starting to become a little concerned. Could she know that I'm moving to GA?

    SHE CANNOT KNOW. That would be a fucking catastrophe. I would just continue to ignore her "hey, Emmy, we should talk" messages, but I've basically been doing that for the past 4 years and it hasn't made an impression.

    Miss you. At least if I'm living in GA I'll get to see you when you stop off to visit your family. Your mother will never tolerate you traveling for too long without a visit. =)

     
  • At 10:56 AM, April 28, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    I vote Nashville, too. I almost ended up there instead of Portland when I left UGA. You know they're about to steal Atlanta's distinction of having the tallest skyscraper outside of NY and Chicago?

    Be super-glad you can't do the text thing right now. Cause otherwise your poor phone would burst open from all of my questions. What are you thinking about doing for work? (Can the answer to that please be country music singer? Oh, you will make so happy if it is.) If God forbid you need a Kinko's reccomendation, lemme know.

    I think following your instincts is awesome. I wish like hell I had the guts to do that.

    Shoot me an email if you're bored.
    --Andrew

     
  • At 11:45 PM, April 28, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    I can find no pictures of buildings of any sort in Western Samoa; only beaches. If you go there, you're gonna need to bring me back pictures of people's houses, grocery stores, and the like.

    --Andrew

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home