Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

It's early here, in the figurative sense. I thought last night that it'd be good to get up before my family so I could have the house to myself and look for jobs, but this morning I had a hard time justifying why I couldn't have just stayed up and had the house to myself. I'd be doing the same thing anyway...sitting on my bed, wishing the wireless was stronger.

Japan was great. I realize I fail at blogging that trip. It's funny how I could caption like crazy while I was in Japan, but I haven't been able to muster the energy for the last batch since I got back. It's one of those things, you know, like in Japan there wasn't anything else that I should have been doing, but here there's a million things I could be doing. One of them being playing with my new puppy, whom I have despite my jobless state. She's one of Max and Rhea's puppies, and the parents offered me one, and how could I refuse? Free dogs are hard to come by and this one comes with a membership to Dr. Orr (the cheapest vet around, according to both my father and the guy who bought the first chocolate girl). And she looks like Max and Rhea, which makes me happy. I love those dogs.

Anyway, there are also videos, which I will finish uploading eventually. Some of them are already up, if you want to go snooping, but I'll definitely post them all as soon as I finish.

So that's about it. I miss being in Japan. I haven't bought gas in almost two and a half months (soon to be broken, as I'm planning a trip to Athens this weekend). I don't have a job. And living at home is slowly driving me insane. Oh! But:


Little Zuki


That's Zuki.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:10 PM, July 23, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    Zuki is a very pretty puppy indeed.
    Have you housebroken her yet? Will she fetch? Does she sleep with you?

    I'm sorry you're stuck at your parents' house. I'd be going crazy, too.

    As far as jobs go, are you looking for like an actual professional office job, or something like Kinko's?

    If it's the former, you should try applying for a government job. They're the only major employer I know of who'll hire you even if you don't have any connections.
    They also have good benefits, and you can pick where you want to work.

    If it's the latter, well...Kinko's is never not hiring. Just put in an application online. They'll call you in less than a week, usually.

    And I'm jealous that you get to drive out to Athens. I didn't get a chance to do that when I was home.

    --Andrew

     
  • At 7:33 PM, July 23, 2008 , Blogger the queen said...

    Awwww. My dog makes everything better too.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, August 01, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    So someone at work described something (I can't remember what) as being powder blue the other day, and I really wanted you to be there so we could share a knowing glance.

     
  • At 9:03 PM, September 11, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    Well, to be fair, our generation's country music was pretty poppy, too. But (a)not to the identity-losing extent that it is today, (b) it wasn't *hip-hop* poppy (a genre of music that does not blend so well, in my opinion, with the country sound), like today's and (c) it wasn't trying to compensate for the hip-hop beat by making the lyrics as uncomplicated and redneck cliche' as possible.

    Early 90s/late 80s country music was confident enough in its twang that it was perfectly comfortable having reasonably complex (for popular music, anyway) lyrics about death and divorce and lost love without needing to be all "Aw, shucks. Why can't everything just be simple?" about it, or decorating it with white trash imagery. Because people who listen to country music -- despite what today's country music writers seem to believe -- actually have very complex emotions about death and divorce and love lost...just like everybody else.

    In the Garth Brooks' video for The Dance, they have footage of fallen rodeo gods (which, in the context of the song, isn't white-trash at all, but in fact quite noble), but they also have footage of the Challenger astronauts and John frickin' Kennedy. And the songwriter doesn't try to limit the song's message by talking about reading the good book and going to heaven when the Dance is over, you know? So it actually manages to be a pretty timeless song, as long as you can block out Garth Brooks' dumbass face when you listen to it. (It takes a little practice, but is entirely possible and entirely worth the effort). A timeless *country* song; the song may have pop influences, but it is most definitely still a Country song.

    But so what I feel like see a lot of today in country music are songs that are all but completely absorbed by the hegemonic pop sound (as opposed to merely borrowing from it), and the writers feel like the only way they can clearly define what they're doing as country (and, it must be said, to rake in the dough from that particular audience) is to have lyrics that glorify this caricature that they believe is your average rural/southern life.

    That being said, I really like that Carey Underwood song where she's beating on boyfriend's truck while he's trying to seduce the flusey.

    THAT being said, I'm pretty sure that's not how flusey is spelled. But I can't be bothered to spell check it, cause it's dinner time. Ashley says hi, by the way. We're gonna go get some Thai food.

    THE END.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home