Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Five Good Memories

I. When Guster played at Erskine College in May of 2007 (I think...), Keri and I waited almost eleven hours in front of the venue--not because it was a hot show or anything, but because we had to check out of our hotel in Greenville by 10am and we had nowhere else to go. There is nothing close to Due West, South Carolina. Anyway, we waited on the front steps in the damp, until it was time for the doors to open and were told by the security people that we had to sit in the seats. So we sat in the seats. Then people stood in front of us and no one did anything about it. We were annoyed, to put it mildly. But as the front row got more and more wasted, gaps opened up and we managed to stick ourselves front and center, right on the bass speakers. It was a great show, and then they played Jesus on the Radio, acoustic, three inches from our faces.

II. I used to suffer from dog jealousy because I expect my little dog to love me more than anyone else and for a while I wasn't sure if she even knew that she was my dog as opposed to a general family dog. But when we go to the vet she never wants mom to take her in--she gets very distressed when I start to go sign her in. :) She likes me best, even if mom gives her more treats.

III. My first trip to Sapelo Island. There were only six of us and no one knew each other and the island was empty and cold and gorgeous. We ate dinner with a local family and slept out by the beach so we could see the sunrise over the water. I've never been colder in my life but the beach was lovely and you can only pull off that kind of stupidity when you're young.

IV. Getting a ticket to the Star Wars premier when I went to Cannes. I'd been waiting for a while and the normally steady flow of extra passes was more of a drip. Then a really nice guy with a media badge asked me how long I'd been standing there and gave me his ticket. I don't remember much about what he looked like, except that he was smiling. We were both smiling.

V. Ships and Dip I. From the beginning (driving the longest I'd ever driven to room with someone I hadn't met in person on a trip my parents didn't know about) to the end (coming back to Rutherford to find that no only were my friends hanging out in my room while I was gone but they'd added furniture. Their answer? They didn't think I'd be back until the next day.) the whole trip was a blast. Ships and Dip III was excellent as well. I have high expectations for Ships and Dip V.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:19 AM, November 14, 2008 , Blogger The Wayward E said...

    Hey! Where is this picture of your dog? I would like to see a picture of your dog.

    We took Beauregaard to meet my dad today, who both insists on calling him "Ray" ('cause he blind, get it?) and referring to him as the "grandpug." Which is kind of fun, the idea of Beau as a "grand" anything, but the problem of course is that he expects us to exhibit parenting skills when dealing with the blind dog. Such as not laughing hysterically when it spins in circles, bumps into furniture, and gets lost in bushes. You'll see--it's pretty funny. Once you get past the idea that this creature in some way approximates a human baby...because that idea is downright creepy.

    I mean, dude, REALLY ugly baby. Warty. Snuffling. Petulant. Totally unable to echolocate.

     
  • At 2:24 AM, November 14, 2008 , Blogger The Wayward E said...

    Are you in TN right now, or GA? Are you really looking for a house in Chattanooga? Because that sounds exciting. I am in GA at the moment. Probably will be for...a while. Which, at this moment (2:21 am EASTERN TIME) seems somewhat bizarre. But who knows. We're rolling with it.

    The best thing about sitting here, typing on the computer very late at night, is that I'm no longer inside the Honda being swarmed by cats. That got harrowing.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home