Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Saturday, November 08, 2008

TIDL: Number 1

I always think it'd be fun to make a list of things that I don't like, except I always forget the thing that inspired me to make the list in the first place. So I'm going to start now and try to add on things when I remember.

1. Bank fees.

It'd be one thing if I were getting something for my money, but giving them cash just because I'm letting them loan out mine to other people? Are they aware that ING pays me for the privilege of loaning out my money? Because they do. I've always refused to pay my bank fees (they tried to charge me $12 a month to keep my checking account--no) with the exception of the first time my credit card payment was late (I wanted it to be sent in on the 2nd but instead of 02 I hit 20 and didn't check it again until it was too late). I felt like such an awful person--so irresponsible and ashamed and why do they even let me have a credit card? So the $25 was my stupid fee, and I've double-checked my dates ever since. Except I've stopped using my Visa lately because my Discover is so much better. Seriously, Discover gives me 5% cash-back on gas (although I probably should have taken the cash-back on travel card instead), e-mails me when my statements are up, when I'm nearing my credit limit, and they e-mail me if the payment is due soon and I haven't paid it. Which would have been a fantastic feature for my Visa card to have, because I had to use it in Canada* at a gift shop. So after two months of not having a balance, I had $6.60 on my statement, which came in the mail today. And is due tomorrow. So I just had to pay $12.00 to do an express payment so it wouldn't be late because tomorrow's a Sunday.

Why is it due on a day when they don't accept payments anyway? What is that? I tried to do a phone payment, but that costs $15. WTF? Why should I have to pay them to take my money? I'm so mad about this that I'm tempted to cancel the card, except I've had it since I was 18 and it has enough bonus points on it for a free horse or something (I have a shameful number of points. I can't believe I've spent that much money). You can be sure that I, and this is an I that hates to talk on the phone, will be calling to request the $12 be removed from my balance. Because, seriously? You want me to pay you to take my payments? No.



*Another reason why Discover trumps Visa: I used my Visa in Canada and they didn't convert it into US dollars, so I paid like 3% more than I had to, plus they charged me a foreign transaction fee. I used my Discover and they just charged me the amount it would have been in US dollars. Discover wins. Also the card is cool looking and my number was easy to memorize.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home