Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

It's really the concept I liked the most.

In honor of my being in a pretty spectacular bad mood tonight, I'm going to do something I'd kind of decided against.

This was my final project for creative writing. It was supposed to be 100 boxes but it ended up being less because I ran out of time and inspiration and scrapbooking glue (the kind that comes in the same dispenser as that correction stuff that feels a lot like PVC tape but is supposedly superior to white-out because it's never wet). Also, I re-used an old story because the story I was writing hit a huge bump, which is to say that I started writing it before I knew how it was supposed to end--a death sentence to anything I write. So if you knew me in high school you'll probably recognize some of the content. But the content isn't what it was about so much as the method of delivery. This is what it looked like in action

The boxes were stacked up on a table in our reading or whatever it was, and the intention was to go through the collection until you reached the guestbook. Since the boxes are constantly being shuffled and re-arranged, the net box you open is as random as these things can be. Some of the boxes link to other boxes directly, some of them reference other boxes, some stand alone. Some have writing, some have pictures, some have stuff. One of them had a finger puppet, which pleased me greatly.

I love the idea. What I forgot to take into account is that no one actually cares what the other people in their class did, so no one looked at my project except for my friends from Rutherford who could have seen it in the dorm. It was really disappointing, but that whole pre-graduation was kind of a sucky time anyway. Also, when you chop things you've written into 3.5" squares you notice every single grammar error.

But despite the crap story and the crap outcome, I still think it's one of my better ideas. I'd like to do it on a larger scale one day, with colored box sets. Like I'd ever have the motivation. Told you I was in a crappy mood.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:08 AM, November 10, 2008 , Blogger Andrew Mills said...

    Dude! What grade did you make on that? It is, indeed, an awesome concept. You should have put price tags on all of the boxes, so people could purchase their favorites.
    And that story looks vaguely like the one about the postman, but I'm not sure.
    And I'm sorry you're in a bad mood. If you ever need to get away for a bit, you know the Hotel Andrew is always open for business. (Just make sure to bring an air matress, cause my awesome floors aren't all that comfortable).

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home