Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

My Beautiful Launderette

Friends, we have reached the end of this heavy-breathing hoedown. Not the end of NaBloPoMo or NaBloCoMo (comments!) but the end of this particular journey. I don't know what tomorrow will be about, but I'm positive it won't be as fun as this past week. When I was looking over my scribbles of which movies I wanted to use, I was really surprised that I hadn't done this one earlier. But I'd tried to find the clip I wanted earlier and got discouraged when I couldn't find one that included everything I wanted it to, because I think part where they're undressing each other has a really sweet intimacy about it. But then here we are on the last day and I finally found my clip. Oh, the wonders of Google.

The parallel structure of this scene is obvious, and we could talk about how the way the camera cuts back into the two couples poses a question of which relationship is more appropriate (the lady in the fir coat is Nasser's mistress) (also this film came out in 1985 so the whole gay sex thing was a shock to audiences). Or we could talk about how spectacular Nasser's dialogue is (what with the deadbeat comment followed by the comment about needing to marry Omar off, also calling them buggers even though he doesn't know they're gay). Or we could talk about how I feel like I should find that champagne thing he does attractive but I really just think it's strange. But I say we don't talk about all that stuff. I say we just relax and watch the clip.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:46 PM, November 12, 2009 , Anonymous Andrew said...

    I feel like, even with the background you've provided, I'd have enjoyed that a whole lot more if I better understood what was going on. I think I may need to go ahead and rent that movie.

    I'm surprised I've never heard of it. Was it something you had to watch for a class, or something your Netflix reccomended?

    And the champagn thing doesn't seem attractive or strange to me so much as it does kind of sad.

    I can't believe it's over! Surely there is more sex out there worthy of our scrutiny.

    You know what might be nice, if you're still looking for ideas for the rest of the month? You could talk about places you like in Chattanooga. I may not speak for the rest of your audience, but I would definitely be interested in reading about that.

    Just a thought.

    Anyway, this was great. The concept, the execution, the "You're my red-hot mama": it was all top-notch. This has been my favorite NaBloPoMo ever so far.

     
  • At 11:26 PM, November 13, 2009 , Blogger The Wayward E said...

    I actually had trouble viewing the clip. Perhaps this is because I am drunk? My computer also sucks, so there's that. I'll try again tomorrow.

    I wish there were going to be more sex scenes. You're very good at breaking them down, and it's been really neat to read about them from a knowledgeable perspective. But hey! Onward, napoblomo!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home