Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Unstoppable

So I'm not one to be all self-affirming, but there's something really exciting about being able to do physical stuff. Like hanging curtains, or shelves, or making a digital tv antenna using a cable you found in your creepy basement, a nail, and a coffee can.* Dad let me borrow one of his drills and since I've had it I've been very surprised at the amount of stuff I can accomplish. Part of it is my parents have very low expectations of me, since I'm a girl (not exaggerating), and I kind of mentally assume I can't do stuff because I'm used to them saying so. And, in all fairness, I'm really horrible at getting stuff straight on the wall without a lot of measuring and some pretty serious interaction with the level. But I can do it, and the rush that comes along with it is fun.

Not to suggest that there isn't a bit of a rush in owning a house. It's just a heavier kind of feeling because I know everything that's wrong with it: the leaks, the cracks in the walls, the outlets that need adjusting, the light fixtures that need replacing. And there's a lot. I know that no house is ever perfect. But I want mine to at least be adequate.




*Seriously, it works better than the one I bought. It's magic.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:11 AM, November 17, 2009 , Anonymous Andrew said...

    Wow, your parents really say you can't do stuff? Like, just physical stuff, or other stuff, too? Do they tell you that you can't balance your checkbook?

    And a picture of the digital TV antennna would certainly be appreciated.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home