Somewhere Else

You know how it is with the traveling type. We're never really anywhere for long.

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Dexter

We'll start with Dexter because it comes on on Sunday and today is Sunday. Logic. I didn't start watching Dexter when it first aired, but I think I watched the first three seasons in less than three days. Dexter is, of course, about a serial killer that murders murderers. But what I like about it, particularly in comparison to the other tv dramas I've seen, is that it surprises me. I'm not saying that I've never seen anything coming in this show, but there are times when you think you know where things are going and they go somewhere else entirely. I love that.

Dexter has a fun pattern of the even-numbered seasons being much more exciting than the odd-numbered seasons, which is why it's a bit eh this year (Season 5). It feels like something's brewing for sure, but with the midpoint of the season airing today, it seems like there should be more up-front conflict. Season two was my favorite, though. The whole thing was very edge-of-your-seat.

Fun fact: even though there isn't anyone I really hate in the characters, there isn't anyone that I would really miss if they died (excluding the baby, but I doubt they'd go there).

3 Comments:

  • At 2:00 AM, November 08, 2010 , Anonymous The E said...

    LOVE DEXTER!

    Really couldn't stand the whole "Rita thing" though. Basically hated her on sight. UGH.

     
  • At 10:09 PM, November 08, 2010 , Anonymous Andrew said...

    You know, a friend loaned me the first season about a year ago, and it's been sitting on my closet shelf since. Everything anyone's told me about Dexter makes it sound like it would be impossible to really get invested in the characters without getting depressed every time you watch the show.

    And that's probably not actually the case, or it wouldn't be so popular. But for some reason, I can't quite get past that thought every time I think about getting it down off the shelf.

     
  • At 11:50 PM, November 09, 2010 , Anonymous The E said...

    Depressing? Why, because he kills people? Because that isn't depressing at all, in the context. It's not like the serial killer's wife and kids line up each episode to plead for his life.

    Actually, I could still see that being entertaining.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home